PDA

View Full Version : Opening Guitars When First Recieving Packages (?)

MikeC
27-01-2009, 08:47 PM
I don't know if this is something that has been asked here before, but if not then I think it could be useful to others. I was wondering how you guys go about opening the box and case when recieving guitars in the winter. I've heard a number of times about how it's not good to open a guitar right away when recieving it in the mail because of the weather. I know some people will crack the case open about 1/4 inch and let the guitar slowly thaw out. Depending on the difference in tempatures from were it's being shipped from and were it's being shipped too, I'm sure damage can probably be caused, correct? I know for a fact that the intonation will most likely be affected during certain wether conditions.

Anybody have an idea of how to go about any of this?:confused:

buddroyce
27-01-2009, 09:37 PM
It depends on how cold it is outside for me. Half the time when I receive shipments of guitars I just remove the cases out of the boxes and let them sit for a bit while I get other work done. If it's a proper case and if it was properly shipped then it's really just the box and the outside of the case that's cold. You can open up the case, and put your hand on the guitar to see how cold it is. If the inside feels cold, then close the case and just let it sit. Otherwise, just take it out and take pics of it to show the world.

It's actually not so much the temperature as it is the humidity. If you live in a hot and humid house where you have the heat cranked up and the humidifier going like you're in India, then you wouldn't want to take a cold guitar out too quickly.

In most cases though you shouldn't need to worry about it too much. If you're truly anal about making sure your guitar is ok, let it sit in the shipping box overnight.

MikeC
27-01-2009, 09:46 PM
Well, the reason I ask is because I've heard alot of people talk about this on other forums. Here in New Jersey it's currently about 30 degree's, and the reason I'm asking is because the guitar has been shipped from Houston, Texas. It's currently in Pennsylvania at the moment and I should have it later on today or sometime tomorow. I wanted to get this info before it gets here so I know exactly how to go about doing everything.

Thanks for the info though Budd. I'll see how cold it is when it arrives and figure out what to do from there.

SouthernSteel
27-01-2009, 10:10 PM
I've never had a problem but the weather for me is fairly consistent.

Joshnir
27-01-2009, 10:35 PM
I'm always worried about that too when I receive a new guitar. especially when it's coming from Japan or Europe.

MarineWeston
28-01-2009, 05:06 AM
Its cold in Canada, its cold here... I never really had any problems.
I usually just undress it layer by layer. Budd packs the guitars in quite a bit of foam wrap, so I enjoy undressing her like a new girlfriend. That way the tension can build so I can totally freak out when I start playing her.

ZetaMkiii
28-01-2009, 11:43 PM
I open them up as soon as I get them just to make sure nothing got ****ed up in shipping

MikeC
28-01-2009, 11:53 PM
Yea, I opened it up once I got it just to check and see if it was damaged during shipping. It snowed here today, enough for the schools to close and everything which dosn't happen often, so the guitar was quite cold. I let it sit with the cased cracked about 1/2 an inch for a few hours. I went to go check on it again and it was fine after an hour or two.

29-01-2009, 12:16 AM
Snow days are the best, especially if you got a new guitar that day. It means you get to stay home and shred it up all day LOL!!