PDA

View Full Version : Questions About My New Angelus

metal190
22-10-2009, 03:10 AM
Just received my first Caparison - it's an Angelus HGS Pro Trans Black. Overall a super lousy experience dealing with guitar asylum - I'm sure it's no reflection on the guitar, as they're just the retailer.

BUT, the guitar was supposed to have been set up at the shop. It arrived and it has the worst case of rubber band syndrome of any guitar I've ever played. Obviously was substantially out of tune. I tuned it to B standard and it wouldn't stay in tune. When you fret the 6th string on the 3rd fret, if you press firmly at all the note may change by as much as two semitones. I tried drop B with slightly improved results. I have to assume guitar asylum just had another screw up and replaced the stock strings with .10s or something they're so loose that it's hard for my fingers to really tell.

What do you guys think of different string gauges? Is standard tuning on this baby drop B or B standard? How should the nut do with high gauges? Being an HGS the nut should be prepped for it, I'm sure, but now I find myself second guessing things.

Thanks!

Metal190

buddroyce
22-10-2009, 04:53 AM
Hi Metal190, welcome to the forum :) The Angelus HGS Pro Trans Black is supposed to be setup for B standard using a set of 10-52's. I would personally go with a heavier gauge if tuning to B. The 10-52 set seems to work better in C standard than B standard in my opinion. Your best bet would be to switch the strings for a brand new set before doing anything else.

22-10-2009, 04:59 AM
Welcome to the forum man. Sorry to hear that you had to deal with Guitar Asylum. Got any pics of your new baby?

metal190
22-10-2009, 06:50 AM
LOL - yeah, my guitar still appears to be up for sale at guitar asylum.

Pics are up here: http://guitarasylum.com/product_pages/caparison/caparison_instock/caparison-angelushgs-trnsblk1-09.html

I'll try to post some soon, as it is naturally really exciting. It is consequently an equally huge buzz kill that the guitar arrived basically unplayable. (However just plugging it in briefly and ripping a few chords through my Recto Recording Pre and I can tell I'm in for a treat.) I think it will be worth it to wait till I have it back from getting professionally set up to B standard with some heavy strings on there. I've got kind of a hybrid mix of not even slinkies on my drop C les paul (I sub out the .24 for a .20). I'll probably stay pretty close to that...

Anyway, can't wait to plug it into my rig with the Mark V and the Road King! (Power air strum!!)

Trypios
22-10-2009, 09:21 AM
LOL - yeah, my guitar still appears to be up for sale at guitar asylum.

Pics are up here: http://guitarasylum.com/product_pages/caparison/caparison_instock/caparison-angelushgs-trnsblk1-09.html

I'll try to post some soon, as it is naturally really exciting. It is consequently an equally huge buzz kill that the guitar arrived basically unplayable. (However just plugging it in briefly and ripping a few chords through my Recto Recording Pre and I can tell I'm in for a treat.) I think it will be worth it to wait till I have it back from getting professionally set up to B standard with some heavy strings on there. I've got kind of a hybrid mix of not even slinkies on my drop C les paul (I sub out the .24 for a .20). I'll probably stay pretty close to that...

Anyway, can't wait to plug it into my rig with the Mark V and the Road King! (Power air strum!!)

Dude, I know I'm off-topic, but did you really like the Recto preamp? I found it unbearable in every way. Especially the clean. Tell me if you can use it in live situation.

SJLee
22-10-2009, 08:37 PM
Welcome to the forum :D

metal190
23-10-2009, 09:27 PM
Thanks for the welcome.

Mmmm... I like some things about the recto pre. It definitely is limited, and maybe feels a little tempermental. There are times when I fire it up and it has rich, thick and clear distortion. Other times it sounds a little tinny and lacks depth and sustain. I can't identify any variables in the different set ups. Although to be honest, I haven't looked hard. It does great for what I use it for, which is during the writing process, to create some scratch tracks and send them to the rest of the group to learn the songs. The real joy is when I'm playing the road king or the mark v, live through two 4x12 cabinets and my whole rack pumping lead tones. So to answer your other question, I also don't know about it live. I only ever use it for direct into my fireface 800 for recording scratch tracks. (Even for CDs I end up micing cabs rather than using the recto pre.) And i will say that I used to have an M-Audio Profire 2626, and it sounded remarkably worse direct into the profire than it does into my Fireface.

Sorry for being long winded.

Trypios
24-10-2009, 12:54 PM
hmmm.
that's the thing
I couldn't work with it live because the two channels are unbalanced and the clean channel is crunchy with the gain more than 20%. Weird.
I got it to be my main preamp in the rack but ended selling it within a few months half the price. I should get a triaxis or something. Now I have a cheap ENGL E530 and it blows the recto away. And of course the Mark series and the road king are awesome.

Back to the topic though (and sorry for interrupting), congrats on the new axe and good luck
From what I see in the website (http://www.caparison.jp/caparison-eng/e-09product/e09angelus-hgspro.html) your guitar's factory gauge setup is .012-.054
The strings were probably sooo flabby that you could bend by pressing hard a jumbo fret (hard to believe that it could go more than a semitone)

metal190
27-10-2009, 04:36 AM
Funny that you should mention that. After I got it set up with .012-.054, I started jamming on it, and when I would play a power chord on the first fret (C), everything was a quarter tone sharp. Now, I don't believe that ANY guitar can be 1000% perfectly intonated, but a whole quarter tone? At the fifth fret it was pulling sharp almost a semi tone. When we tuned the guitar back up to standard tuning, the intonation dialed in nicely. But I bought this guitar to rock B-b. I finally had them try the Zakk Wylde .11-.70s, and apparently it is intonating okay. I haven't tried it yet, but that .70 is like a bass string, and I'm not sure how much I'll be digging that.

Have any of you guys experienced this? What are your thoughts on intonation and string gauges? What are reasonable expectations, and with what set up have you guys been most successful on your HGS guitars? (particularly an angelus)

Finally - I just purchased Steve Miller's old Triaxis. I thought it would be nice to have two, one for live, one for recording, but I'm not using the live one, so I'm reselling the Steve Miller owned one and switching the live one to recording. If you're interested, it can be found at: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170399503278

Morgray
31-10-2009, 05:05 PM
when I would play a power chord on the first fret (C), everything was a quarter tone sharp. Now, I don't believe that ANY guitar can be 1000% perfectly intonated, but a whole quarter tone?

Wow that's pretty messed up, sounds like you should sell it to me at a severely discounted rate ;)