PDA

View Full Version : The bass player's Awesome thread

RecursiveInput
22-08-2013, 07:53 PM
Because we finger things better!

This is thread where we talk about how awesome bass players are. No bullying us here! I don't know how to start it to be honest though. Fingers good, pick bad?

Trypios
22-08-2013, 08:09 PM
Fingers good, pick bad?

That's what she said!

RecursiveInput
22-08-2013, 08:18 PM
Yeah! Gets slapped otherwise!

Staygrey92
22-08-2013, 09:41 PM
Hahaha ..

Ahem. I'm just an occasional bass player. My 2 primary instruments are the guitar and drums. But jumping on that bass feels so good. No picks here either.

Anyone got any inspirations? I don't know all that many bass players.

Trypios
22-08-2013, 11:47 PM
Michael Manring!

Also, there's a Greek guy called Yiotis Kiourtsoglou, it's a shame he is not internationally famous:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIssee2cyls

And there's always Les Claypool from Primus of course on top of all.

RecursiveInput
24-08-2013, 06:18 AM
There are a lot of amazing artists from Greece that aren't exactly famous. I could have said the same thing about most european metal bands 10-20 years ago but, meh, quality over quantity. Atleast we don't have to deal with mainstream fans. Here is a band some of you might have heard about. The guitarist uses a caparison apple thingy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNZ0DWhStNo

Regarding basses, I can't say I have any influences now. There aren't that many good bass players in metal. Growing I was very impressed with Metallica's Cliff Burtton, then Cannibal Corpse's Alex webster and both Symphony X's bass players (not really a fan of the newer stuff that sounds like dream theater).

At the moment I'm having issues lasting at full speed because I only used 2 fingers so now I'm trying to play with 3 fingers so that I don't get too tired quickly... bad habits are hard to beat and it's kinda hard since guitar is a bit funner XD

I'm limited to the number of videos I can post, next post I will a video regarding using 3 fingers instead of 2 :)