Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: Ebonized Horus Fretboard

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    875
    In both of these dying threads the fretboards now really just look like dark rosewood. It seems with the lighter more redish pieces of rosewood that Caparison uses they don't really take to dying that well. I have seen dyed Ibanez boards that look just like ebony. These do not. Honestly my board looks pretty much that dark with just an application of Fret Dr. Although the dye does take the reddish tone away.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    291
    I agree that it dosn't look like ebony. It looks just like dark rosewood to me, simular to the Jackson I use to have. I do however like the look of the dark rosewood compared to how it originally was. It works well for the people who just enjoy the look of a dark rosewood/ebony fretboard.

  3. #13
    Hammerfall89 Guest
    Holy shit! Thats my guitar!

    Funny thing is for those who said they'd like it better with the black hardware, the guitar was originally equipped with black hardware, but i actually asked Budd to replace it with gold. I love the contrast it gives to the black, and i think it makes the guitar look real classy.

    Budd, i can't thank you enough for all the hard work you put into my guitar. Now i am going to stare at these pictures while i wait

  4. #14
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Ont - CANADA
    Posts
    2,346
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowv03 View Post
    In both of these dying threads the fretboards now really just look like dark rosewood. It seems with the lighter more redish pieces of rosewood that Caparison uses they don't really take to dying that well. I have seen dyed Ibanez boards that look just like ebony. These do not. Honestly my board looks pretty much that dark with just an application of Fret Dr. Although the dye does take the reddish tone away.
    With about 3-4 applications it does look like ebony, but it usually works best when you still have the fretboard blank. Once the fretboard is fretted you don't want to over do it just in case the frets get loose.

    As for the fret doctor in comparison, believe it or not I actually applied some on the 12th fret of the guitar I stained just to see what the difference was, and although it did get a little darker, the ebonized board was definitely blacker and darker overall. I should have taken pics though, now the last fret is actually stained. Maybe I'll take pics of the Iris when I stain that.
    ---=== Founder - CaparisonForum.Com ===---
    Got a Caparison question? Just ask

  5. #15
    SJLee Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by buddroyce View Post
    I don't know about you guys, but that's pretty black to me.

  6. #16
    SJLee Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfall89 View Post
    Holy shit! Thats my guitar!

    Funny thing is for those who said they'd like it better with the black hardware, the guitar was originally equipped with black hardware, but i actually asked Budd to replace it with gold. I love the contrast it gives to the black, and i think it makes the guitar look real classy.

    Budd, i can't thank you enough for all the hard work you put into my guitar. Now i am going to stare at these pictures while i wait
    Dude that's going to be yours?? Congrats man!! I agree that the gold hardware does add a bit of class to it.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    29
    That looks great! How much would it cost you to do this to my MH-1000? I might be interested in this. And how did you do this with the strings on .

  8. #18
    Hendricks Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Rydock View Post
    And how did you do this with the strings on .
    I was wondering the exact same thing right now.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Ont - CANADA
    Posts
    2,346
    Quote Originally Posted by Rydock View Post
    That looks great! How much would it cost you to do this to my MH-1000? I might be interested in this. And how did you do this with the strings on .
    It's completely doable. If the guitar has binding, you're looking at about $100(taxes all factored in), if it doesn't have binding you're looking at $80 (all the taxes factored in as well).

    How did I do this with the strings on? I didn't, well I did but I didn't. I left the strings on, but I loosened them enough so I can just unlock the strings on the floyd and get them out of the way. I've had to do some many guitars over the years that I'm able to keep the original strings on most jobs that require them being removed (assuming that they were installed properly and have enough string winds on them). Let me know if you're interested as we can probably work something out if you need anything else done on your guitar at the same time.

    Cheers,

    Budd
    ---=== Founder - CaparisonForum.Com ===---
    Got a Caparison question? Just ask

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northern Indiana
    Posts
    1,608
    I think everyone has a Blacknight lol

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •