Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why does the Horus come with the BHII-R?

Caparison will never replace the BHII-R on the Horus with anything else simply because it was designed in conjunction with Cha Cha Maru and that's the pickup he wanted. Itaru however did change the pickup on the Horus HGS because it was never a real signature model.

It's not a bad pickup, especially if you're looking for tones that don't venture too far into metal territory. It's kinda hard to compare the PH-R and the BHII-R as they're totally different pickups. If you have a middy high gain amp or if you're using an overdrive pedal as an extra gain stage into something with decent gain like a JCM800, then the BHII-R doesn't sound that bad, but the PH-R definitely has more edge to it (largely due to the increased mids).
    ---=== Founder - CaparisonForum.Com ===---
    Got a Caparison question? Just ask

I can only comment on the BHII-R. I really liked it and found it to have some great qualities once I got my amp dialed in right to work with it. I did change out the pickup after time just out of curiosity and found something else I like more.

It is all opinion, but I'm not too sure you'll find many fans of the BHII-R around here. Any pickup can sound metal if you saturate the hell out of your tubes. I'm sure I am just being too critical, but that is not in my top 20 favorite pickups.
    I actually have one of my desk at school holding down the kids lunch tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by 27fretshred View Post
    Dude, you might be the only person that would take the BHII-R over the PH-R.
    As I already explained in my last post, there are a lot of people who prefer the BHII-R over the PH-R. Personal taste my man!

It's fine to just say you didn't have a good experience with it, without claiming definitively it sucks or it's not good for metal, when so many disagree.

Personally neither the BHII-R and the PH-R aren't good enough for my tastes, that's why all my guitars have Bare Knuckles (although the pickups in the Dellinger MC are amazing), but still dude... everyone has differing opinions

Quote Originally Posted by buddroyce View Post
    It's not a bad pickup, especially if you're looking for tones that don't venture too far into metal territory. It's kinda hard to compare the PH-R and the BHII-R as they're totally different pickups. If you have a middy high gain amp or if you're using an overdrive pedal as an extra gain stage into something with decent gain like a JCM800, then the BHII-R doesn't sound that bad, but the PH-R definitely has more edge to it (largely due to the increased mids).
    Well yeah if you're using a mid gain amp without a tube screamer in front, the BHII might be too dry, but if you're using an amp with a good amount of saturation and/or a boost like 99% of modern metal bands do nowadays anyway, things can sound amazing. My customers who use ENGL, VHT, Peavey, Diezel, Framus, Rivera and the like are usually the ones who seem the highest on the BHIIs. If you're running an amp (or speakers) that are really bright, or just has mild break-up, yes the BHII-R won't be pushing it into distortion.

As I mentioned before, raising the pickup height so its fairly close to the strings has worked wonders for me with my Horus HGS. I'll have to make some clips (or have some of my customers make some) to prove the BHII can deliver the goods w/ metal if in the right conditions
    The Axe Palace: Proud Caparison USA Dealer - WWW.AXEPALACE.COM (Now On Facebook too!)

Lower output pickups generally sound better in higher gain amps IMO. It's definitely all personal opinions, but basically what you're saying is that in order for the BHII-R to sound good, you just need an amp with a retarded amount of tube saturation. Seeing that those are the kind of amps most metal guys are using nowadays I guess it ain't that big of a problem.
    Last edited by dpowell; 03-02-2009 at 01:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Axe Palace View Post
    As I mentioned before, raising the pickup height so its fairly close to the strings has worked wonders for me with my Horus HGS.
    I've tried that before and my problem with doing that is that by the time I get the BHII-R to sound good for my clients (basically about ~1.5mm away from the strings), the magnet pull starts affecting the strings causing the intonation to go off after the initial attack (my peterson strobe tuner doesn't lie).

Still I DO like the BHII-R, just not for the heavier stuff.
    ---=== Founder - CaparisonForum.Com ===---
    Got a Caparison question? Just ask

Quote Originally Posted by dpowell View Post
    Lower output pickups generally sound better in higher gain amps IMO. It's definitely all personal opinions, but basically what you're saying is that in order for the BHII-R to sound good, you just need an amp with a retarded amount of tube saturation. Seeing that those are the kind of amps most metal guys are using nowadays I guess it ain't that big of a problem.
    I'm actually not saying the amp has to have a 'retarded amount of tube saturation'. I'm saying tube amps that have a well-designed preamp with a lot of rich, heavy yet defined gain will do best with pickups like that. I'm not saying you need to turn the gain up to 10 or anything.

My VHT Pittbull UL for example likes those pickups. That's a very dynamic, touch-sensitive amp but it has a lot of usable gain and it helps offset some of the dry, peaky qualities of the BHII. If you run it into a Marshall or an amp that is very bright, crunchy, high-middy those pickups can just accentuate the 'undesirable' frequencies. Whereas I set the gain normally around 11 o'clock, when I use the Horus HGS I pump it up to around 12 o'clock. That little bit of extra gain smooths it out a bit in a good way.

So, it's less about purely gain but rather the voicing of the preamp. Not so much power tube distortion either as with amps that use KT88s there's almost none anyways. Sometimes gain can be used not just for distortion but to compress and soften pickups that are a little bright/dry sounding and add sustain, that's all

Quote Originally Posted by buddroyce View Post
    I've tried that before and my problem with doing that is that by the time I get the BHII-R to sound good for my clients (basically about ~1.5mm away from the strings), the magnet pull starts affecting the strings causing the intonation to go off after the initial attack (my peterson strobe tuner doesn't lie).

Still I DO like the BHII-R, just not for the heavier stuff.
    Well yeah I don't mean putting it THAT close, but I get ya It's definitely not for everyone and every rig.
    Last edited by The Axe Palace; 03-02-2009 at 01:49 AM.
    The Axe Palace: Proud Caparison USA Dealer - WWW.AXEPALACE.COM (Now On Facebook too!)

I always found the VHT Pitbull UL to work better with lower gain pickups for some reason. It just seems to sound like ass with any of the high output pickups that sound great in other amps.

I bought a BHII-R off some guy for $10 just to give it a try and through my 5150 or my Modded JCM800 it just didn't have the balls the PH-R in my Dellinger does, but I can totally see the BHII-R sounding killer in the VHT UL.

Quote Originally Posted by The Axe Palace View Post
    Um, guys, not everyone agrees with you on that. I have many customers who prefer the BHII-R over the PH-R and they're in touring bands that play super heavy stuff. Also, from my experience with various Horus models, they can sound amazing for metal. Yes they have less saturation, but just a little more gain/mids on the amp does the trick.
    Well said Nick!

Tone is such a personal thing. I rember when I first came here, everyone was telling me that EMG's would never work well for the music I play. Well I tried some passives and it didn't do it for me. I went back to EMG's and after discovering the 18v mod... I can't do anything else anymore. I'm an official EMG whore.

I play an ENGL Powerball... and like so many people here have said in this thread... today's high gain amps often will not like really hot pickups.

I've just found a great combination for the sound I want in this combo. The only passive pickup I've found to work for me, has been the SD Trembucker. It's a mid output pickup, and it sounds great with my amp.

TO EACH HIS OWN!

Very true, its all personal taste, my horus didnt come with the BHIIR, It came with a seymour JB, but once I got the guitar I had ordered the dimarzio Diactivator for it. I didnt like it, So I tried the X2N on it, I didnt like that either, so james hooked it up with a PH-R, That did the trick for me as far as personal preference on that guitar.
    Guitar 1: Caparison Horus Snow Cloud Maple Fretboard w/ SD JB/Hot rails
    Guitar 2: Caparison Horus Oiled WM EB Fretboard Stock
    Guitar 3: Caparison Horus Purple Peter Joseph Custom
    Guitar 5: ESP Horizon 1987 model with Lawsuit Headstock w/SD DDJ/Hot Rails
    Guitar 6: ESP Eclipse II Snow White w/ EMG JH Set
    Guitar 7: Ibanez S540 Red w/ Seymour Duncan Distortion
    Guitar 8: Ibanez S540 Black w/ ENG 85/85
    Amps: ENGL Special Edition 6l6, Fryette Sig X