Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BKP / Dimarzio Advice!

BKP / Dimarzio Advice!

I'm looking into replacing the bridge pickup in the Snow cloud once it arrived as I've heard the BH-R isn't exactly great for metal . I have heard a lot of good things about BKPs and was wondering what the general difference are between the Nailbomb and Warpig. I'm in a Death Metal band and need a fairly savage tone, im running through an ENGL powerball. I'm also open to suggestions regarding Dimarzio's if you think they are in any way superior to the BKPs. The other guitarist in my band uses Deactivator X's which sound great but i find rather hard to get my pinches to cut through with them compared to the PH-R in my TAT.

Thanks in advance guys!

get the warpig....
    RIG
    Engl Fireball 100
    Marshall 4x12
    Boss NS2
    Guitars
    Caparison horus with BKP miracle man
    Ibanez RG1527 with dactivator.

Soon to get:
    im really feeling an angelus M3B or a dellinger 7

Quote Originally Posted by fateofthorns666 View Post
    get the warpig....
    errr... any reasons?

I also a Powerball in combination with a Nailbomb-equipped ESP Eclipse.
    The NBs replaces a EMG85/60-Set.
    I play Melodic Death, and the Nailbomb turned out to be everything I have been dreaming of.

The big and organic tone of the bridge Nailbomb really opened up the Engl's slightly compressed sound
    and gave it a fantastic low-mid growl while still retaining a tight pick attack and enough highs to cut through.
    Rich harmonics, searing single-note riffs and pinch squeals are a breeze.
    It's also the first bridge P-Up I know with a really convincing clean sound.

The neck NB is a little too bright for my taste, currently saving to buy a BKP Mule neck
    (also recommended to me by Tim, the mastermind behind Bare Knuckles).

brokenarrow Guest
    Get a Lundgren M6 or a the Warpig. The Nailbomb from everything I hear is a tad too bright for my liking. The M6 is just pure destruction.

If you're looking for a savage tone, there are lots to choose from. But ultimately it depends on what kind of sound you're looking for. Being a dealer for DiMarzio, Bare Knuckle and Lundgren I can tell you that each company has pickups that will sound savage, but how you define 'Savage' is going to make one pickup sound better than another.

If you like the tone Michael Romeo had for the last Symphony X album, you'll love the DiMarzio X2N. If you want something that's got a lot of top end crunch the nailbomb is great. The warpig has a tad less top end with bit more upper mids. The Lundgren M6 is a very beastly sounding pickup with loads of punchy mids and isn't as bright as the nail bomb or the warpig.
    Last edited by buddroyce; 21-05-2009 at 03:30 AM.
    ---=== Founder - CaparisonForum.Com ===---
    Got a Caparison question? Just ask

Swap the PHR from the TAT into the horus. The horus with the PHR sounds super heavy. Its easier to find a pup for the Tat since its alder. The X2N will sound amazing on the Tat. Ive tried it, theres currently a JB in my tat and it sounds great.
    Guitar 1: Caparison Horus Snow Cloud Maple Fretboard w/ SD JB/Hot rails
    Guitar 2: Caparison Horus Oiled WM EB Fretboard Stock
    Guitar 3: Caparison Horus Purple Peter Joseph Custom
    Guitar 5: ESP Horizon 1987 model with Lawsuit Headstock w/SD DDJ/Hot Rails
    Guitar 6: ESP Eclipse II Snow White w/ EMG JH Set
    Guitar 7: Ibanez S540 Red w/ Seymour Duncan Distortion
    Guitar 8: Ibanez S540 Black w/ ENG 85/85
    Amps: ENGL Special Edition 6l6, Fryette Sig X

Quote Originally Posted by Gyver View Post
    Swap the PHR from the TAT into the horus. The horus with the PHR sounds super heavy. Its easier to find a pup for the Tat since its alder. The X2N will sound amazing on the Tat. Ive tried it, theres currently a JB in my tat and it sounds great.
    Or buy a PH-R off me, Warpigs would be my vote.

Something along the lines of the tone Necrophagist use on the Epitaph album.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DND8S_CF_g
    (Listen to the rhythm tone during the bass intro)

Killswitch always seem to have godly tone too but i guess that's down to Adam being both their guitarist and studio engineer.

Meh, i still dunno, guess i will probably go for the nail bomb due to aesthetics and any difference between the other pickups i can easily compensate for on my amp?

Quote Originally Posted by Vzael View Post
    Something along the lines of the tone Necrophagist use on the Epitaph album.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DND8S_CF_g
    (Listen to the rhythm tone during the bass intro)

Killswitch always seem to have godly tone too but i guess that's down to Adam being both their guitarist and studio engineer.

Meh, i still dunno, guess i will probably go for the nail bomb due to aesthetics and any difference between the other pickups i can easily compensate for on my amp?
    Muhammed from Necrophagist has been using he DiMarzio D-Activators (NOT d-activator x) since he got his Ibanez Xiphos. You could go for that or the nailbomb. The nailbomb will be brighter sounding with a similar sound. I just installed a nailbomb for a client a few days before I left for LA and it sounded pretty good. You can't go wrong with either one, although I should note that the two bands have something in common. Necrophagist uses passives that sound like actives. KSE actually uses EMG actives. See the trend there?
    ---=== Founder - CaparisonForum.Com ===---
    Got a Caparison question? Just ask