Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Picking techniques

vermillionblood89 Guest

Picking techniques

well i suddenly realized that while changing strings (as in shifting strings).. i was doing a down, up, down, DOWN.. ( the 4th stroke on the next string)..i guess thats not the best way of picking...

besides i kinda got mixed up between alternate picking n economy picking.. sometimes i do the alternate picking n sometimes the economy (problem is i cant control my hand).. when i try to do alternate picking while changing/shifting strings my hand automatically does that economy picking...

by the way isnt alternate picking a better method than then economy picking?

thanks..

I wouldn't say that alternate picking is a "better method". Both styles have there place. I would recommend practicing your control over which one you are meaning to do though (alternate picking when you want and economy pick when you want). Here is a awesome piece to play while practicing your picking.
    Caparison Horus Black Night
    Prs McCarty
    Ibanez S540 x2
    Ibanez UV777
    Ibanez pgm301
    Engl Blackmore
    Mesa Duel Rec.

vermillionblood89 Guest
    thanks for the tab.. ill practise that piece right after i get up tomorrow morning..

i agree both has different benefits.. but i dunno which brings a more heavy aggressive metal sound.. n which helps in improving and building up accuracy and proficiency..

besides petrucci (whom i hate) said in a magazine - he believes alternate picking is the best..(wat a ****) n i also saw many videos where michael romeo was doing his economy picking..
    Last edited by vermillionblood89; 05-07-2009 at 07:00 PM.

heavy aggressive metal sound...give me a break. Do what's most comfortable for you, that's all it comes down to.

i believe reoccurring theme in your threads is extremely over thinking, just chill out practice both and utilize as you best know how in your playing
    http://bloodmoonslo.bandcamp.com
    2007 Caparison TAT Crimson w/ BKP Warpig
    Verellen Custom MEATHAMMER 300w Hi Gain tube head
    Atlas Cabs 4x12 w/ Eminence DP12a/Manowar
    Randall 4x12 w/ OEM EV 12L
    Black Arts Tone Works Pharaoh Fuzz
    Rocko Period Mummy Custom Analog Delay
    Boss DD-3 delay
    TC Hall of Fame Reverb
    TC Ditto

+1+1+1+1!!!!!!!!!

Ibanez USA Custom USRG30 Trans Green Quilt EMG (18volt):o
    '60s' ?? Gibson SG TV JR EMG81-P
    BC Rich ST-III Snakeskin Custom(SD Screamin' Demon)
    '75' Marshall Super Lead 100 Mk II
    Carvin MTS 3200 50th Anniv. model
    Marshall JCM 800 4x12
    Marshall 9001 3-ch all-tube preamp
    Mesa Dual Rec Trem-O-Verb 2X12

I'm a big fan of smooth playing, so I prefer a good legato run over a picking run. However, when I feel a lick should be picked, I usually go for economy/sweep picking over strict alternate. I don't particularly enjoy that 'tick-tick-tick' picking sound. I prefer Michael Romeo's smooth picking technique (the pick more parallel to the strings and almost always economy picking).

Quote Originally Posted by Physicist View Post
    I prefer Michael Romeo's smooth picking technique (the pick more parallel to the strings and almost always economy picking).
    The famous Frank Gambale technique. He said in an interview, it took 7 years to master it

Suhr Modern custom, Suhr Modern M7, Stonebridge GS-23-CR, Fender USA deluxe P-bass, Almansa conservatory 435
    ENGL E670 + E412VS, Ashdown ABM EVO-II (2x10)
    Axe FX II

I love Frank Gambale's picking technique. After injuring my own wrists it was something I had to learn to actually play a set for an hour without hurting myself.
    ---=== Founder - CaparisonForum.Com ===---
    Got a Caparison question? Just ask

Just do what you think is comfortable, i can't do economy picking even if i wanted to, my alternate picking is not that clean, and that's probably my reason why i became a hybrid picker. =)

Just keep playing man!
    FUSEBOXX Guitarist

Guitars:
    Caparison Horus Yellow Sand 2009
    Caparison Dellinger 7FX Oiled Mahogany 2009

Line 6

Exclusively uses Elixir Cables and Strings.