Thread: PU suggestion for an Ibanez S?

PU suggestion for an Ibanez S?

My beloved Ibanez S1540 is going to have a maintenance check in short, and I thought that after many years of loyal service, she really deserves some upgrades to continue rocking even harder for many years to come.

However, one of the things that I'm still unsure about are the pickups. The stock QM2 (bridge) QMS1 (middle) and QM1 (neck) are not particularly well-known, but have satisfied me over the years and have proved that are flexible enough to handle a wide array of styles. I was tempted to exchange them for stronger PUs when I was mainly playing metal with my band, but in the end I liked their round, deep tone and have stayed with them.

Now I am using the S mainly for bluesy, new agey stuff a la Mike Oldfield or Mark Knopfler. I'm quite satisfied with the QMs for this purpose, but was wondering if any of you may have any better suggestions fitting this particular style.

I will eventually end getting a Custom 22 and/or a Les Paul in addition, but I believe the S can also perform very well in this field.

So, any suggestions?
    Convolution Blue - Symphonic Rock - convolutionblue.com
    '09 PRS Custom 22 Royal Blue
    '09 Caparison TAT II Dark Night
    '08 Caparison Horus Iris Violet
    '02 Ibanez Prestige S1540FM
    Fractal Audio AxeFx Ultra

I'm sure, everyone here will suggest either a Dimarzio ToneZone as a cheap solution or a BKP (double the cost).
    Since it's not intended for metal, I'd say try the Dimarzio AirZone. I put it in my Caparison and works like a charm!

I tried several for my Ibanez RG prestige...Ibanez has a thin tone and IMO needs to be beefed up. Try a pickup with less highs and more bass+mids for the bridge. I had the Dimarzio evolution and the Seymour Duncan JB for awhile, and those two were terrible choices for Ibanez.

For the neck I'd choose the versatility of a Dimarzio Paf pro or Seymour Duncan SH2
    Last edited by Trypios; 15-02-2010 at 09:41 AM.

Suhr Modern custom, Suhr Modern M7, Stonebridge GS-23-CR, Fender USA deluxe P-bass, Almansa conservatory 435
    ENGL E670 + E412VS, Ashdown ABM EVO-II (2x10)
    Axe FX II

I have Seymour Duncans in my S1520
    SH-2N jazz (neck) and SH-4 JB (bridge)
    I think they work great.

Quote Originally Posted by Trypios View Post
    I'm sure, everyone here will suggest either a Dimarzio ToneZone as a cheap solution or a BKP (double the cost).
    Since it's not intended for metal, I'd say try the Dimarzio AirZone. I put it in my Caparison and works like a charm!

I tried several for my Ibanez RG prestige...Ibanez has a thin tone and IMO needs to be beefed up. Try a pickup with less highs and more bass+mids for the bridge. I had the Dimarzio evolution and the Seymour Duncan JB for awhile, and those two were terrible choices for Ibanez.

For the neck I'd choose the versatility of a Dimarzio Paf pro or Seymour Duncan SH2
    LOL I was just about to say either the Tone Zone or the Air Zone in the bridge! For the neck I'd go with a liquifire, paf pro or a paf 36th.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I've got a Tone Zone installed in the bridge position of a D-tuned cheap Jackson that I use for casual heavy riffing and even if it is not a great guitar, it is playable, with tight and heavy tone. Maybe I'll try it in the S before deciding. However I've not closely compared both and I don't play this Jackson so much, so I might be completely missing the point, but the QM2 in my memory seems to have a creamier, sweeter sound. It probably has to do a lot with the wood too.

And in case I want to go down the BKP road, which one should it be? I have been listening to some samples, and I like what I hear from the VHII and the Cold Sweat for instance. I have a spare neck painkiller around that I might try as well, but I'm not very confident since it seems more metal oriented.

And what about some of the vintage ones? Wouldn't they be more suitable for the kind of sound I'm looking for?

Hendricks Guest
    Try a Dimarzio Norton. You'd be surprised how good it is.

7. Have you looked at Suhr pickups at all? I just slapped some Aldrich's in an old RG of mine and couldn't be happier with it. Knopfler was (is?) a Pensa/Suhr guy, fwiw.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Asylum View Post
    Have you looked at Suhr pickups at all? I just slapped some Aldrich's in an old RG of mine and couldn't be happier with it. Knopfler was (is?) a Pensa/Suhr guy, fwiw.
    Honestly, I have not considered them yet. I think I can borrow some from a friend of mine to test them. Thanks for the suggestion.