Thread: Engl E670 (Special edition 6l6)

Engl E670 (Special edition 6l6)

I'm seriously considering an upgrade to this amp, has anyone had any play time with it than can give me their opinions on it? To compare with I have an engl powerball, framus cobra and a mesa dual rectifier, am I right in guessing it blows these away?
    Caparison: Horus HGS Gloss White, Horus Crimson EF, Horus Snowcloud, Horus HGS MF, Angelus HGS Midnight Blue.
    Amps: Engl Special Edition E670 6L6, Engl Powerball, Framus Cobra.
    Other: Gibson Les Paul Custom 1981, Parker Fly Deluxe 1998 "Italian Plum", Fender Stratocaster 1990.

Dude! That is the amp I want so bad I can taste it. I heard a couple of so called tests on You Tube. Even though most of those truly suck, They couldn't make the amp sound bad. I also want the el-34 version. Just prefer el-34s. If you really don't have the money for a E670 SE you might want to look into the Powerball II. It is like a poor man's version of the E670. Has 4 channels and alot of the same features as the E670. But in my opinion I am going to wait and save the money for the E670, since it is thier flagship amp. I think it is the best sounding amp I have ever heard. Just my opinion.

Ibanez USA Custom USRG30 Trans Green Quilt EMG (18volt):o
    '60s' ?? Gibson SG TV JR EMG81-P
    BC Rich ST-III Snakeskin Custom(SD Screamin' Demon)
    '75' Marshall Super Lead 100 Mk II
    Carvin MTS 3200 50th Anniv. model
    Marshall JCM 800 4x12
    Marshall 9001 3-ch all-tube preamp
    Mesa Dual Rec Trem-O-Verb 2X12

Quote Originally Posted by Vzael View Post
    am I right in guessing it blows these away?
    Yes.

Powelball is a poor amp IMO, it sounds alright but gets lost in the mix at gigs and such. Great for bedroom level jamming though!

I MIGHT have an savage SE 6l6 for sale soon just incase your interested
    My Band
    http://www.facebook.com/Diamorphus - For fans of Death Metal

Quote Originally Posted by Sudzmorphus View Post
    Ohh sounds very interesting! Ideally I'd like to get rid of my dual rec and powerball, keep my cobra for in my studio, get a 5150 for the studio too and an engl SE for live.

If you decide to sell the savage SE, PM me with what you are looking for dude
    Caparison: Horus HGS Gloss White, Horus Crimson EF, Horus Snowcloud, Horus HGS MF, Angelus HGS Midnight Blue.
    Other: Gibson Les Paul Custom 1981, Parker Fly Deluxe 1998 "Italian Plum", Fender Stratocaster 1990.

Quote Originally Posted by Sudzmorphus View Post

Sudz you're selling the Savage Special Ed? Also, how are you liking the Sigx? I'm sure you'd agree it's a completely different animal.
    Caparison Dellinger MC Aluminum(w/ Dimarzio Air Norton S in neck)
    Ibanez S7420(w/Blackouts)
    VHT SIGx
    VHT Fat Bottom 4x12
    Maxon OD-9 Pro Plus
    ISP Decimator

Quote Originally Posted by Chelseadevil21 View Post
    Sudz you're selling the Savage Special Ed? Also, how are you liking the Sigx? I'm sure you'd agree it's a completely different animal.
    I might be doing, gonna get it serviced then see exactly how it compares, The VHT is a demon, I was worried about the gain but aside from leads it sounds fine, total beast
    My Band
    http://www.facebook.com/Diamorphus - For fans of Death Metal

I owned a "normal" Savage, and it sounded tight, with fast and straight bass, alot of highs (all the people I know put this under 5). The SE is even better, with more options but the sound base is the same. The Savage SE is my second fav amp ever (the first is the one I own, the mesa roadking). Is waaaaaay better than Powerball, which sounds so compressed and focused on one direction. With SE you can achieve more styles. Framus Cobra is not a bad amp, but it sounds to me like a vitamined 5150...nothing more. The Rectifier is a good amp...if you find a good one, but the SE has a more refined and smart distortion and pristine clean. On the other hand, I love the low-gain option (pushed) on clean channel of Rectos with an Strat. It sounds so bluessy. With the SE you can get also a good sound, but I still prefer Mesa's.
    www.inlovingmemory.es
    (melancholic doom/death)

Caparison: Dellinger SE-OM, Angelus HGS GM ProWhite, Angelus HGS TransBlack, Angelus TR Trans.RedBurst, TAT Red Sunset, TAT Frozen Sky
    Mayones: Regius 6 Gothic, Regius 7 Gothic, Duvell Elite 6, Setius 7 Gothic
    Skervesen: 4AP Custom, Raptor 6 NTB Custom, Raptor 7 FF Custom, Shoggie 7FF
    Ran: Crusher 7 FT Custom
    Strandberg: Boden USA 7
    Ibanez: J.Custom RG8527Z BX

Honestly, I have tried both Engl SE versions (6L6 and EL34) at high volume and I think they are better studio amps. They have a pretty compressed sound to them and I have also heard people say they don't hold up on the road as well as some of the other ones. It comes down to your own personal taste, but that's what I took from it. I also tried them back to back with my Blackmore and I thought the Blackmore sounded better. It's way less compressed and it cuts through the mix really well.

secured my deposit on one today bye bye mesa HELLO engl