Thread: Mixer? Audio interface? No clue how to plug my axe to my PC

Mixer? Audio interface? No clue how to plug my axe to my PC

Hi guys,

Since now I have to play with headphones 99% of the time I was thinking about hooking up my guitar to my laptop and use one of the multiple simulation packages out there. Also I would like to use for Skype lessons as well as for practicing licks. So long story short, I see mixers and audio interfaces, what are the differences? They look very similar to me but I am sure there are some key difference I am not aware of. Anyone willing to educate me? Thanks!!!

Not sure about a mixer, but, an audio interface such as M-Audio Fast Track is a great way to record and play thru your pc. What specifics are you asking about?
    Current Gear:

Guitar:
    Caparison Angelus HGS Trans Blue-Mat
    Custom Alexi Laiho
    Schecter Loomis FR-7

Setup:
    Line 6 POD HD 500
    M-Audio Bx5a Power Monitors
    FL Studio 11

Future:
    JPX

Thanks a lot Feilong! As you can see I am totally clueless about the technical aspects of plugging a guitar to a computer. Basically, what I want is being able to record, play along to songs/backingtracks, slowing down and looping sections of songs and hopefully get my guitar signal to come out of another computer using Skype. Not sure if this makes any sense. I've read good reviews on the Fast Track and looks like it would do most of the above but would it work with Skype? Thanks in advance for your advice!!!

Oh I'm in the same boat! I would recommend a program like Fruity Loops 10 Studio: Producer Edition. It is VERY user friendly, M-Audio works great with it and you can even create your own drum tracks with it. I know there are better programs out there, but, for a beginner like yourself and I, Fruity Loops is so amazing! Worth every penny And as for it working with Skype, it should work just fine; just download updated drivers for it and setup your inputs and outputs and you should be fine. Let me know if you have any other questions.
    Current Gear:

Guitar:
    Caparison Angelus HGS Trans Blue-Mat
    Custom Alexi Laiho
    Schecter Loomis FR-7

Setup:
    Line 6 POD HD 500
    M-Audio Bx5a Power Monitors
    FL Studio 11

Future:
    JPX

If you're just getting started with audio recording, and need a DAW, check out Reaper, it's free to download and has many of the same features as Cubase / Protools etc. Are you using the axe ultra or II? If you are using the II, you can use the USB connection as your interface, then just download any DAW and you're away. If you have the standard/Ultra then you will need some sort of interface between your computer and the axe. The M-Audio Fast track Pro, is a pretty good entry level solution that also has MIDI in/out so that you can update patches etc and use Axe edit.

Feel free to PM me if you need anything else further explained, or if you have more questions

Thanks a lot Andhe. I wish I had an Axe! Right now I only have a tiny Blackstar that I am looking to hook up to my Mac for Skype lessons. I am hearing good stuff about the Fast Track pro and the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. Gotta buy one of the two soon...
    Music Man Axis Tribute - 2012
    Music Man Silhouette Special - TBC
    Gibson Flying V Silverburst - 2008
    Please donate Caparison

Ooh i just assumed from the thread title 'axe' meaning axe-fx instead of guitar But yeah, the Focusrite stuff is great too. I was using a Saffire for a while after the Fast Track Pro.