Thread: Belated NGD - Ibanez RGA 121 Natural

Belated NGD - Ibanez RGA 121 Natural

So, I was back in Spain for holidays two weeks ago and saw this beauty in a local second hand website and took her home. I didn't have a guitar in Madrid and needed something to play when I am there on holidays (see how easy is to justify your GAS!) The guitar is almost brand new, it even has the peel off plastic on the covers and the stock strings are still on. The previous owner used to work for a guitar store and bought this one as a back up but never used it. The guitar is amazing for the price, very well made and finished and super comfortable to play. The only thing I didn't like were the stock pickups. They are absolute rubbish, no punch whatsoever. Nothing that can't be easily solved though. Thinking about putting some Dimarzios in there. ToneZone and Air Norton or a pair of PAF Pros for some classic metal tones. Open to suggestions though!

Enough talking here are some crap iphone pictures

IMG_0795.jpgIMG_0796.jpgIMG_0797.jpgIMG_0798.jpgIMG_0799.jpg
    Music Man Axis Tribute - 2012
    Music Man Silhouette Special - TBC
    Gibson Flying V Silverburst - 2008
    Please donate Caparison

Congrats man. So are Ibanez pickups usually as crap as you mentioned? I haven't had much to do with Ibby's.
    Caparison Horus HGS Pro BlackModded Natural Finish

I have owned two Ibanez, an SV Prestige (true duo pickups) and this one (V7/V8) and didn't like the pickups in either. However, I have played other Ibbys with Dimarzios (ToneZone/Air Norton) and they sounded amazing. I haven't had much time to play her yet (she is still in Madrid), so maybe I need to play more with the amp settings but so far I am not too impressed. Everything else in the guitar is amazing, really good value for money.
    Please donate Caparison

Air Norton (Neck) and Crunch Lab (Bridge). My previous Ibanez custom models were based on the RGA121/321. The stock V7/V8 are rubbish.

Thanks a lot Andhe! Much appreciated. I hadn't thought about that combo. The funny thing is that my Regius has a Crunch Lab. Clearly I need to take her out of her case more often
    Please donate Caparison

hehe That combo always gave me the best of both worlds - smooth leads on the neck, with lower output, then the super attack/high output in the bridge. They compliment each other so well. I have to say though, I'm blown away at the PH-R.. that was the one thing i was skeptical about, but yeah. Love it.

Funnily enough I have owned two Caparisons (I still have my Dellinger) and have never tried the PH-R. I do have one but both my old Horus and the Delli came with different bridge pickups and I have never bothered putting the PH-R in any of the two. Now, that might be plan for Easter...
    Please donate Caparison

Nice! I love the headstock!

I seriously reccomend it.. I won't be replacing it in my Dellinger, and I'm normally a DiMarzio guy through and through. The harmonics are just out of this world.

Quote Originally Posted by Andhe Chandler View Post
    Air Norton (Neck) and Crunch Lab (Bridge). My previous Ibanez custom models were based on the RGA121/321. The stock V7/V8 are rubbish.
    Thats the combo in my Horus HGS. LOVE IT!
    Caparison Horus HGS Pro BlackModded Natural Finish