Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Playing badly :p

Thanks! Means a lot to hear that.

Sadly no, I don't play in a band yet. I do get put into groups for university, though, but that's not really the same as a proper out-in-the-scene band. Would like to though, for sure, probably after I get my degree done. Hopefully by then I'll know what I'm doing on the strings!

Nothing new recorded, but working on learning some more songs and writing some stuff so, maybe in the near future? Here hopes, at any rate. Maybe some full Symphony X songs, provided my hands don't fall off trying!

Likewise here for that goal, it's a lot of fun recording and seeing that whole side of things. I'm curious, too, to hear how others sound on here, so +1 to someone to hear you if you put some stuff up.
    Guitars:

Caparison MJR Signature.
    Caparison Horus (Iris Violet Gold 2008 reissue w/ toggle switch, Dimarzio Tone Zone S/ X2N)
    Caparison Dellinger-II MC Aluminium (Chrome EMG 81/81 pickup pairing)
    Caparison Dellinger-7 FR Matte Black (DiMarzio D-Activators Set)
    Caparison TAT-I Frozen Sky made for Matt Wicklund.
    Caparison TAT-II Red Sunset '96
    Caparison Orbit 27-FR Pro White

-More coming soon-

I'd love to post some stuff! .. but not when all ive got to record is my 5s!

Can somebody lead me in the right direction as to what Hardware/software I need to get some decent recordings going on please? I use Mac predominately but am looking at purchasing an Alienware laptop at some stage maybe. I'm pretty sure there's a new pro-logic out as well...
    Anyway I'm pretty sure I asked a similar question aaages ago

Cheers everyone.
    Caparison Horus HGS Pro BlackModded Natural Finish

Ben, you're studying at JMC right? How much longer do you have on your course?
    I studied audio engineering there. Still love doing it at home but certainly wasn't the right career at the time for me.

Cody, with the above said I could help you out with getting started.
    As for software I'd basically recommend anyone starting out to go with Reaper. I think there may still be free, working versions of it around, however the full, non-commercial licence was about $30 last time I checked. It's hard to beat for value and it's packed with features.
    Regarding hardware, that really depends on your budget and your short-medium term ambitions with it. You'd find something half decent that connects with USB or Firewire for $500, either new or used. Having been down that path I'd recommend holding off any hardware purchases which are under the RRP$300 mark. Most people will quickly outgrow that sort of gear for music recording. I'd say that gear is more suited to conference use where a wide spectral range isn't as important to the end user.

Thanks Dan

Reaper looks pretty damn sweet. The non-commercial licence is now $60 which I have no problem with
    The hard part is what audio interface to choose from. I have no idea. I'm a 'buy-it-once' guy and never go on the cheap so...the hunt continues

Any brands, models you recommend?

These are a few units that I've heard good things about, or are newer models of ones I used to hear about often. I won't recommend the unit I use as it's slightly larger than you'd likely need at home and I've also had some reliability issues with it when working with MIDI. It's a Mackie unit, and none of the below are from the same brand.
    As always, don't be afraid to look for these second hand to save some, or even check out older versions.

http://factorysound.com/products/ult...-mk3?locale=en
    http://www.awave.com.au/product_info...oducts_id=3757
    http://www.awave.com.au/product_info...oducts_id=4289

Quote Originally Posted by Nebulous View Post
    Ben, you're studying at JMC right? How much longer do you have on your course?
    I studied audio engineering there. Still love doing it at home but certainly wasn't the right career at the time for me.

Not long left, actually; about two semesters left provided I don't botch it or anything. Not sure how much a Bachelors in Music Performance from JMC carries but, we'll see when it happens. Used the course more as a way to get started anyhow; figured if a campus was going to teach the ins and outs of the industry and a little bit of most stuff, get some contacts in the performing world -and- hand me those first few gigs to shake stagefright, it was worth it.

You studied audio engineering there? Awesome; they put a bit more focus on those guys, at least from what I've heard. Not as much of the "new head of department every few weeks/months" stuff we got. ;p
    Guitars:

Caparison MJR Signature.
    Caparison Horus (Iris Violet Gold 2008 reissue w/ toggle switch, Dimarzio Tone Zone S/ X2N)

-More coming soon-

These are a few units that I've heard good things about, or are newer models of ones I used to hear about often. I won't recommend the unit I use as it's slightly larger than you'd likely need at home and I've also had some reliability issues with it when working with MIDI. It's a Mackie unit, and none of the below are from the same brand.
    As always, don't be afraid to look for these second hand to save some, or even check out older versions.

http://factorysound.com/products/ult...-mk3?locale=en
    http://www.awave.com.au/product_info...oducts_id=3757
    http://www.awave.com.au/product_info...oducts_id=4289
    Dude I was just checking out MOTU gear. Looks pretty sweet. Thanks

Yeah it is a good place to learn and network, but I found that honing your skills in your own time outside of the course work was just as important as the course itself. Best to come out of there with as much of a show reel as possible.

Woops, posting at the same time.

Yeah the MOTU stuff should be pretty solid from what I hear.
    What I looked for in the products I posted are basically more than one inbuilt preamp of relatively decent quality, explandable inputs (eg, from other preamps or a mixer) and headphone output with volume control.

Yeah it is a good place to learn and network, but I found that honing your skills in your own time outside of the course work was just as important as the course itself. Best to come out of there with as much of a show reel as possible.
    Yea, pretty much that seems to be the way the course goes. That said, it does help to practice those networking skills there, then move out to the real world stuff too.
    Guitars:

Caparison MJR Signature.

-More coming soon-