Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible issues with the forum?

Possible issues with the forum?

This is not really a complain otherwise it would be a PM to an administrator or a moderator but it seems that a great portion of the posts I make are subjected to inspection by moderating body. these posts are usually my longer/bigger ones or those which consist with links and other types medias... not to mention that I couldn't register a couple of time because I was labeled as a spammer. so here we go, I apologize if this might cause any of you any discomfort.

Has this been an effort done completely by caparison then there might have been no need for me to say anything but the Japanese presence in caparison seems to diminish more and more with every upcoming news update so if anything one would obviously conclude that "Caparison" has nothing to do with advertisement and sales so it is completely valid to expect more.

Automation vs manual protocol:

It seems to me that everything on the caparison forum is done manually from approving posts made by new members to registration. While such methods may seem secure it really doesn't provide any practical solutions to any of your problems in-order to prevent Spam or moderate the users, accounts can be hijack and some of us do have their bad days. Not to mention that by limiting the number of users to such a small body, the forum loses it's intended utility.

ex: The methods used are similar to installing microphones and cameras to spy on people, it might be helpful if you are spying on one person but isn't very practical if you are spying on a country. So I will keep this short and straight to the point:

Please look have your computer people look into Natural Language Processing (NLP) in-order to manage some of those issues you have been having, you are a big enough corporation so you obviously have a team dedicated to maintaining databases and data-mining and honestly they won't even have to work much for it as there are already free alternatives and it can be written in php or whatever web developers like to use.

Spam is not done manually, it is automated so you seriously can't expect it with human as a resource.

Support for other languages

Like stated before the Japanese presence in almost gone form caparison and with Japan-only famous artists leaving the feeling isn't getting any better, especially when a number of us (not me) got into caparison because of bands such as arch enemy or soil-work. And while this is the official caparison forum now it still seem like a fan-forum being an English only forum. Perhaps it would be best to make fans in japan feel more welcome by providing a section in the forum for those who speak Japanese so that you may get feed back from them as-well. If metal fans are still your main focus then perhaps the inclusion of German, Swedish, Finnish, and Norwegian would be best.

Side not:
    The interface is horrible, please add more text styling options.
    Thanks, please comment or add to this

As a translator and someone who knows Japanese culture quite well, I can assure you that very, VERY few will use this style of forums. It's not how they do things. They prefer doing things via old school BBS style boards through completely anonymous postings ala 2ch. Here is the current Japanese BBS for Caparison guitars:

http://awabi.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/c...1348706409/l50

If you think the styling on this forum is bad, you're gonna have a heart attack at 2ch's styling. Basically, making a Japanese section would appear to be nice from the outside perspective, but it would most likely fall upon deaf ears and get basically zero posts.

I'm sorry but I find this post kind of offensive.

Most of the operation is done automatically. I remember I approved your very first post and I believe that's only because it included an attached photo.
    A while back there was a big spamming issue and Budd Royce handled it very well I have to say. I haven't seen spam since then and neither with the changes Gabriel made, so IMO vBulletin is setup nicely.

Suhr Modern custom, Suhr Modern M7, Stonebridge GS-23-CR, Fender USA deluxe P-bass, Almansa conservatory 435
    ENGL E670 + E412VS, Ashdown ABM EVO-II (2x10)
    Axe FX II

Hi there, thanks for the post.

While there are some manual aspects to this forum that myself and some of the other moderators take care of, there is also a lot that runs automated.

Text styling? you have options for Bold/Italic/Underline/Font/Font Size/Color... what else do you think is needed there?

As far as this being a fan forum - well yes it is both that, and the official forum, as myself and other artists + Gabriel himself posts here, and reads peoples comments / thoughts / ideas. I'm not sure if you were aware of the possibility that Caparison would have disappeared if it wasn't for the great effort that Gabriel and his team are doing from the UK.

If you have suggestions about things that would be important for this forum, please feel free to PM Gabriel, myself or any other mod.

5. Hello, as others have pointed out this forum mostly uses the automatic vBulletin moderation and very little manual moderation is done. User registration requires a valid email address is also tied to a vBulletin operated blacklist over which we have little control. As with any forum all any prospective user with a registration problem need do is contact the admin via the contact form and we will fix the problem for them.

This forum was originally setup by a Caparison fan, Budd Royce, as an English language forum and was only taken over by Caparison a few months ago. It is almost exactly as Budd had set it up, he did an excellent job, so we have felt little need to change it. The lack of Japanese input is merely historical and due to the Japanese online tendency toward anonymity. We would of course welcome the Japanese or any other fans’ input!

I also don't think many realise just how small a company Caparison really is. With our very small team in Japan and the UK we do everything in-house, this includes (but is not limited to) web design, graphics, photography, social media, artist relations and customer support as well as running the guitar design and development, material sourcing, production, sales, dealer support, marketing and general business side of things. Consequently we rely heavily on the kindness of the loyal community supporters and some of our artists who give up their time to moderate this forum for us, which I am extremely appreciative of. I think they do an extremely good job and they do it with good grace.

I do however welcome all input, and we have if fact been asked to setup various foreign language sub-forums. This is something I am looking at, as well as upgrading the forum to the latest vBulletin software which will improve the user experience and add many new features. Unfortunately this will take a little time as I want to make sure that the platform is stable and test the upgrade first on another vBulletin test installation so that it runs smoothly. This is something I do myself and I have had little time to look at recently.

Of course anybody with any experience that is willing to help us out will be most welcome to do so, and it would be very much appreciated!

Regards,
    Gabriel

Director
    Caparison Guitars

Fwiw I think this is pretty much the nicest forum I post in - in terms of functionality. It runs very well.
    .................................................. ..........................................
    [Please sign along the dotted line using only a blue or black pen]

Quote Originally Posted by Wolvie View Post
    Fwiw I think this is pretty much the nicest forum I post in - in terms of functionality. It runs very well.
    I concur. The only drama's I've had is with posting pictures which is 90% my fault ! lol.
    Caparison Horus HGS Pro BlackModded Natural Finish

First, thank you for taking the time to reply to my post.
    I apologize for those of you whom I have offended, not exactly the best way for an introduction...
    My goal was to just point out things which I felt can be improved and not to talk any of you down, I'm honestly very caparison crazy... I can even say that I might be a bit gay for caparison (<_< ... >_> no caparison acoustic yet) and if you have felt that I'm being too negative then I apologize for my unacceptable social behavior. I was mainly just pointing out things which I would have want to change like people who ask for a 7 string horus.

Usually when developing a programing project other members are tasked with pointing out issues or desired that might need to be changed in the future or need to be changed. You might add some features or you may not add anything. I had assumed that some big shot company has taken over caparison and were sitting smoking cigars asking why caparison isn't making loads of money.

now I gotta reply to every post .... feel free to ignore what is not yours

Quote Originally Posted by Andhe Chandler View Post
    Hi there, thanks for the post.

While there are some manual aspects to this forum that myself and some of the other moderators take care of, there is also a lot that runs automated.

Text styling? you have options for Bold/Italic/Underline/Font/Font Size/Color... what else do you think is needed there?
    As far as this being a fan forum - well yes it is both that, and the official forum, as myself and other artists + Gabriel himself posts here, and reads peoples comments / thoughts / ideas. I'm not sure if you were aware of the possibility that Caparison would have disappeared if it wasn't for the great effort that Gabriel and his team are doing from the UK.

If you have suggestions about things that would be important for this forum, please feel free to PM Gabriel, myself or any other mod.
    I have no idea what kind of flexibility vBulletin offers in terms of customization if not much then you can ignore everything ... but if you want some things that can be changed we can start with the you-tube video inserter. It is really lame how it only takes a specific type of address. Seriously this can be fixed with just lone line of code or a little more, and it is called Regular expression. You write a pattern say the general form of an address you usually get [youtube[dot]com or youtube[dot]be] and then you take the video number and just parse into the desired address on the go.

...Want me to write code here? I actually wrote a C# code but deleted it because it is was like beating a dead horse. ( haven't worked much with web development I can always look up JavaScript or whatever code if I have to, no one really writes code with the Internet being around)

Ok regarding text styling, Let us consider all of the basic HTML tags which one can use, yes we have what you mentioned Bold/Italic/Underline/Font/Font Size/Color but there is also deleted text, text which has a line going across it.
    Lets see if I can post HTML on this:
    HTML Code:
    <body>
    <p><del>This text is crossed out</del></p>
    </body>
    <------ am I missing a tag or something?

Quote Originally Posted by caparisonforum View Post
    Hello, as others have pointed out this forum mostly uses the automatic vBulletin moderation and very little manual moderation is done. User registration requires a valid email address is also tied to a vBulletin operated blacklist over which we have little control. As with any forum all any prospective user with a registration problem need do is contact the admin via the contact form and we will fix the problem for them.

This forum was originally setup by a Caparison fan, Budd Royce, as an English language forum and was only taken over by Caparison a few months ago. It is almost exactly as Budd had set it up, he did an excellent job, so we have felt little need to change it. The lack of Japanese input is merely historical and due to the Japanese online tendency toward anonymity. We would of course welcome the Japanese or any other fans input!

I also don't think many realise just how small a company Caparison really is. With our very small team in Japan and the UK we do everything in-house, this includes (but is not limited to) web design, graphics, photography, social media, artist relations and customer support as well as running the guitar design and development, material sourcing, production, sales, dealer support, marketing and general business side of things. Consequently we rely heavily on the kindness of the loyal community supporters and some of our artists who give up their time to moderate this forum for us, which I am extremely appreciative of. I think they do an extremely good job and they do it with good grace.

I do however welcome all input, and we have if fact been asked to setup various foreign language sub-forums. This is something I am looking at, as well as upgrading the forum to the latest vBulletin software which will improve the user experience and add many new features. Unfortunately this will take a little time as I want to make sure that the platform is stable and test the upgrade first on another vBulletin test installation so that it runs smoothly. This is something I do myself and I have had little time to look at recently.

Of course anybody with any experience that is willing to help us out will be most welcome to do so, and it would be very much appreciated!

Regards,
    Gabriel

Director
    Caparison Guitars
    Hello Gabriel. Sorry man, I had no idea what your job is like. You are doing a great job, like I said I thought it was a bunch of fat men smoking cigars and for some reason I thought Cackt had left but it was a picture that has changed.... and thought ACE was gone too... what the hell happed it's like I was on drugs or something? :| now I might seem like a pissed off fan boy when the only caparison artists actually like are the guys from onslaught.

Anyway, I actually have a BS in Computer science and will be more than willing to help whenever i can. Code or Research. Sorry we got off on the wrong start it wasn't really my intention.

Email drama: I haven't really used any forums for the past 7+ years or so and none of my emails are linked to any forums, the only difference between the email I used this time and the one I used before is that this one is registered to a facebook account I never started and is a Gmail account as oppose to the other which is a hotmail account. if it is anything the Gmail account is either on a good to go list or vBulletin is just bias towards Microsoft.

Quote Originally Posted by Trypios View Post
    I'm sorry but I find this post kind of offensive.

Most of the operation is done automatically. I remember I approved your very first post and I believe that's only because it included an attached photo.
    A while back there was a big spamming issue and Budd Royce handled it very well I have to say. I haven't seen spam since then and neither with the changes Gabriel made, so IMO vBulletin is setup nicely.
    It wasn't my intention to offend you and if I did then I'm sorry. by automation I meant having an algorithm go through the whole post and determine whether the post needs moderating attention or not since these algorithm are not perfect. Not really a widely used method but it is becoming standard in a lot of on-line tasks that can not afford to wait for a human input.

EXample: The stock market employs algorithm to make sales depending on news updates, as in the algorithm will go through an article, then find relevant information regarding the current stock and based on that it will decide to sell or buy. This takes seconds and there are simply no room for human input.... That is what I meant by automation

Quote Originally Posted by Code001 View Post
    As a translator and someone who knows Japanese culture quite well, I can assure you that very, VERY few will use this style of forums. It's not how they do things. They prefer doing things via old school BBS style boards through completely anonymous postings ala 2ch. Here is the current Japanese BBS for Caparison guitars:

Link removed

If you think the styling on this forum is bad, you're gonna have a heart attack at 2ch's styling. Basically, making a Japanese section would appear to be nice from the outside perspective, but it would most likely fall upon deaf ears and get basically zero posts.
    Hi Code001, thank you for your input, I think the important message got through, well it was already in development.
    I know what 2ch is, but I had assumed from past relationships with others from japan that these people are just socially awkward and NEETs who only represent a small portion of the Japanese society. I might be miss-informed but that is really beyond the point, the point is organization really. Caparison is relatively small and most of these changes would not make drastic changes but lets consider something. If not forums then perhaps something should be done about having the twitter account and facebooks account be predominantly english. Japanese people use twitter and facebook, do they not? If i'm not mistaken ESP (lame) has separate accounts for both Japan and other regions in the world, not only do you show the user relevant feedback to him/her, but by categorizing people by location you can better understand the type of demand that might work for one region and what might not work for another, and based on the information you retrieve you can build visual representations.

I don't know if people in japan will completely want to be anonymous to this level at all times, there are a number of blogs by armature guitarists (or people who do anything) where the users tend to display their work and hare tutorials or tabs for their viewers, it is how i get a number of my resources.

had to cut the rest of this

Quote Originally Posted by RecursiveInput View Post
    It wasn't my intention to offend you and if I did then I'm sorry.
    You didn't offend me personally at all. It's just like you said though..."not exactly the best way for an introduction...".

Because I can understand how much time and effort Budd invested in this forum and I see the new owners' response, I believe it's about content, not beauty. I personally like the interface a lot and If I'm to compare it with other guitar brand forums it kicks ass.
    About the html in posts...vBulletin's Customer Support states it's quite risky and there is no safe way to add the feature to the forum

Suhr Modern custom, Suhr Modern M7, Stonebridge GS-23-CR, Fender USA deluxe P-bass, Almansa conservatory 435
    ENGL E670 + E412VS, Ashdown ABM EVO-II (2x10)
    Axe FX II

wooohooo glad that's out of the way with you for the most part ... I hope >.>
    I honestly just wanted to help improve the forum and had no idea caparison was that small.

plus I didn't want to offend the guy who convinced me to switch to stock caparison pickups (read your post where you recommended them and the suhr ones).I know I'm repeating myself here but I have been following this forum back from when bud was in charge (seen all of his youtube videos too) and you had those little "caparison forum" t-shirts. I don't really do forum so I really can't say much regarding the matter, Caparison is just so awesome that I had to join. The people here are awesome too and frankly speaking I can live with all these things and less.

[s]I will be looking at vBulletin whenever I have time. But like you said there are probably not much you can do. maybe you can turn on and off some features ... I see they already support XML (paste from MS word) [/s] <---- was trying to Strikethrough it

You guys are probably tried of my bs, I'm so sorry for any discomfort I may have caused you, I really didn't mean it... now to hopefully patch everything up with the rest of members. gonna have to apologize till the next namm and maybe try to fix the problem with beer...