Thread: How do you protect your pro finish?

How do you protect your pro finish?

It seems that with excessive finger rubbing and the use of high quality erasers the dull coating on your caparison guitar will ultimately rub off.
    For this reason I decided to make this forum addressing the sensitivity and the steps needed to be considered before abusing your guitar.

Also before I do something stupid, do you think it would be a good idea to spray that sucka with a can of dull coat? after masking your hardware ofcourse.
    Pictures if you have't already seen worn out pro finishes.

Personally, I'd just let it age and fade naturally. The eraser trick and microfiber towels work sometimes, but it really depends on what condition the guitar is in. One thing I wouldn't do is try to refinish it or add more coats of clear. The finishes on Caparisons are thin for a reason, and it's the same technique manufacturers like Suhr and such use.

Quote Originally Posted by Code001 View Post
    The finishes on Caparisons are thin for a reason, and it's the same technique manufacturers like Suhr and such use.
    I'm not a guitar expert by any means and I'm interested in why the finish is thin?

I have two Caparison's in the pro finish and they are getting some good ole wear on them. Personally I'm not too worried about that so much. So far, so good with the erasers
    Caparison Horus HGS Pro BlackModded Natural Finish

The problem is more when the finish is thick. What happens is a tonal change. The thicker the finish is, the more the tone is affected by the finish itself. With a thinner finish, you get a more "resonant" guitar...in theory. The fact is, every piece of wood is different, and it's not a very easy thing to check. The best you can do is gather some generalities based on many repeated trials. Some have argued that oil finishes are the best and most resonant finishes. Others have argued that oil finishes seep into the wood too much and affect it more than a normal finish.

My personal opinion: A thin, hard finish is the best for protecting a guitar. It'll be hard enough to protect the actual wood, yet thin enough to not impact the actual sound of the wood. For tone, it really matters on a lot more factors than the finish alone. The reason I say to stick with the finish you have is because, not only is there the potential to totally ruin the finish you currently have, but it could also potentially change the overall tone of the guitar. There's nothing worse than doing an irreversible mod to your guitar that you regret.