Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's your favourite pickup brand?

What's your favourite pickup brand?

Well.. what is it? What models..? What has helped you achieve 'that tone' you've always wanted..?

Me.. well it's a toss up between Bareknuckle and Dimarizio. I've only heard the aftermath model of the BKP's, but man am I happy with what I'm hearing Very impressed. Just ordered a Warpig in burnt chrome (thought it would look nice in the scarab) and the sinner. So we'll see how that goes.
    Caparison Horus HGS Pro BlackModded Natural Finish

The Suhr DSH+ is one of the best I have on my guitars so far. The Capa PHR was also great high output pup and I regret selling it. I'm disappointed of most of Dimarzios and Duncans I installed in my guitars but they're good for them value.

I want to state...I dislike EMGs......and Apple but that's a different story. I dislike EMGs so much, I could be one of their biggest detractors.

Suhr Modern custom, Suhr Modern M7, Stonebridge GS-23-CR, Fender USA deluxe P-bass, Almansa conservatory 435
    ENGL E670 + E412VS, Ashdown ABM EVO-II (2x10)
    Axe FX II

Dimarzio D-sonic & air norton S works very well in my Horus. I wouldn't say Duncan Distortion in the bridge is bad either. They're different, though.

I also dislike EMG and Apple.

EDIT: oh yea, I would soooo like to test out BKP:s. I've only tried nailbomb on a dellinger and wasn't too impressed.
    Gear:
    Caparison Horus Snow Cloud (DiMarzio D-sonic & Air Norton S)
    Caparison Horus Maple Night (Seymour Duncan Distortion & Hot Rails)
    Caparison Horus-HGS MF07 Oiled Walnut (DiMarzio Evolution & The Chopper)
    Line6 Pod X3 Live
    KRK Rokit RP5 G2

Please donate:
    Axe Fx
    Horus iris violet
    Norwegian currency

[QUOTE=Echelon-IV;43728]Dimarzio D-sonic & air norton S works very well in my Horus.

If you compate these pickups to original PH-R what is main difference? I am quite happy with PH-R,but woul try something else.just for fun.
    Caparison Delinger 7 FX WM Charcoal Black
    Caparison Horus HGS OW MF
    AXE FX II
    FBT Active monitorsMA 1150Verve

I'm no fan of EMG either... but I LOVE apple
    Caparison Horus HGS Pro BlackModded Natural Finish

EMG's all the way but not the 81....

Big fan of 85's, 89's and 60's

But my very best EVER was the Warpig. That thing was truly a monster.

+ i hate apple too

Bare-knuckle for guitar
    Bass is meh, the pickups harldy are a major aspect of your sound so I just use EMGs on them. Having nails is the best but they will brea k in 30 seconds.

I'm not a particular fan of EMGs either. That said, that's mostly based on the traditional 81/85/60 pickups. Not tried any of the X series, or anything else. Apparently the new 57/66 combo is quite good... *shrug*

I wouldn't say I have a favourite brand. I love Seymour Duncan Blackouts, but apart from that I'm not a huge SD fan. Dimarzio I love the D-Sonic/Air Norton, and at one point the D'Activator was my favourite bridge pickup. And then there's Bareknuckle of course - the ceramic Nailbomb I have in the bridge of my Dellinger is probably my favourite sound at the moment, suits what I want pretty much perfectly. I've had limited experience with other BKPs, wasn't a big fan of the Painkillers I had. But I do have more guitars coming soon that have more Bareknuckles that I'm yet to play so we'll see.
    .................................................. ..........................................
    [Please sign along the dotted line using only a blue or black pen]

Quote Originally Posted by dusanhomer View Post
    If you compate these pickups to original PH-R what is main difference? I am quite happy with PH-R,but woul try something else.just for fun.
    Not the slightest idea since I've never owned a PH-R, which I hear is quite a good pickup. The original pickups on old Horii were with less output and less upper-mid bite. It's actually not that prominent in the Dimarzios either if you compare to the SD distortion. The original neck pickup lacked that tiny amount of treble that I like about the Air norton S - it's not as hot as, say, duncan hot rails. Dimarzio D-sonic has very good clarity for a bridge pup, possibly since it does not have MONSTER output.
    Last edited by Echelon-IV; 05-07-2013 at 12:13 PM.
    Gear:
    Caparison Horus Snow Cloud (DiMarzio D-sonic & Air Norton S)
    Caparison Horus Maple Night (Seymour Duncan Distortion & Hot Rails)
    Caparison Horus-HGS MF07 Oiled Walnut (DiMarzio Evolution & The Chopper)
    Line6 Pod X3 Live
    KRK Rokit RP5 G2

Please donate:
    Axe Fx
    Horus iris violet
    Norwegian currency

10. For the type of music I play, the Bare Knuckle Black Hawk is the ultimate pickup. I also like the DiMarzio X2N, which sounds amazing in my Ibanez.
    Caparison TAT II (Red Sunset) - stock pups
    Jackson SL1 Soloist (Black) - Bare Knuckle Black Hawk (b), Seymour Duncan Classic Stack (m, n)
    Jackson DK1 (Raspberry Burst) - EMG-81 (b), EMG-85 (n)
    Ibanez Prestige RG1570 (Mirage Red) - DiMarzio X2N (b), stock pups (m, n)
    ENGL Fireball 100 head
    Splawn 4x12 cab w/Eminence Red Coat speakers
    ISP Decimator
    Maxon OD808 Overdrive
    Boss CE-1 Super Chorus
    Carl Martin Octa-Switch II

My band - Alpharist (www.facebook.com/Alpharist)