Thread: Tuning Down a Whole Step - What Strings?

Tuning Down a Whole Step - What Strings?

Hi folks,

I have the AppleHorn Jazz and I currently use 9s on it and have it tuned to standard.

I am considering tuning it down a whole step permanently but am unsure if it would be best using 10s or 11s for this. I know that 10s would fit in the string slots fine, but would a low E, gauge 48, fit in the low E slot OK? Unfortunately I don't have any 11s or 48 gauge strings in the house that I can see and wont get into town until tomorrow when I can buy some.

Would the 11s, tuned down a whole step, be similar in tension to 9s at standard?

You could even consider a .10-.52 for D standard tuning. Even .11-.56 should be ok as far as fitting into the slots.
    I'd probably suggest to try .10-.52 first, anything heavier might be too noticeable for you if you're playing 9's in E standard.

10-52 can work, so can 11s. I use 10-46 in D standard and they feel pretty light, so I'd give the 10s' a try and see what you think.
    Guitars:

Caparison MJR Signature.
    Caparison Horus (Iris Violet Gold 2008 reissue w/ toggle switch, Dimarzio Tone Zone S/ X2N)
    Caparison Dellinger-II MC Aluminium (Chrome EMG 81/81 pickup pairing)
    Caparison Dellinger-7 FR Matte Black (DiMarzio D-Activators Set)
    Caparison TAT-I Frozen Sky made for Matt Wicklund.
    Caparison TAT-II Red Sunset '96
    Caparison Orbit 27-FR Pro White

-More coming soon-

I use Elixir heavy/lights (10-52's) in D standard/dropped C on my HGS and ESP E-II Horizon and the tension is spot on for me. It should be similar to the 9's in standard. Dropping it down a whole step gives it that compensation I guess. Give it a go!
    Last edited by Staygrey92; 07-10-2014 at 10:27 AM.

Thanks guys. Luckily I do have a set of 10s in the house so I can try these and see how we go. Cheers!