Thread: TAT Frozen Sky & Customised Dellinger

TAT Frozen Sky & Customised Dellinger

Hi guys,

Not really sure what to call this thread. I guess it's kind of a late NGD for the TAT which I got a few weeks ago. And a really late sharing of the Dellinger which was customised so long ago that I don't even know when it was. Several years to say the least!

First sunny Saturday morning we've had down in Melbourne for a few weeks and first chance I've had to spend a bit of time taking photos of a lot of my gear. I'm not much of a photographer and the back drop is a bit weird (!) but I think the photos turned out pretty good. Taken with a Nokia Lumia 930 so not too bad for a phone!

But anyway, this thread is basically just me showing off two very nice guitars...

.................................................. ..........................................
    [Please sign along the dotted line using only a blue or black pen]

.................................................. ..........................................

TAT Frozen Sky

THE reason that I became interested in Caparison. Saw a thumbnail of this exact model (TAT I) in this finish (Frozen Sky) and I was hooked. Finally had the opportunity to pick one up. I've had a TAT before so not much to say other than the quality and play-ability is fantastic as is to be expected. And it just looks so cool. The pickups were swapped out for some Seymour Duncans by the previous owner. I can't remember what ones, I'm sure I could look it up if anyone is particularly interested.

Customised Dellinger

Bit of an interesting history to this one. Someone purchased two dellingers some time back, one with a fixed bridge and no inlays and the other with the inlays and a floating tremolo, and then swapped the necks so he (or she) could get a fixed bridge with the wicked clock inlays. Fair enough. Somewhere down the line the remaining dellinger (with trem and no inlays) came into my possession, which I posted an NGD for it on this forum now a few years ago I think. Found a cool guy near me who does custom finishes and work on guitars (Cam Rees of Custom Guitar works) and he did the awesome refinish and re-routing for the pickups.

Pickups were swapped from a HSS setup to HH Bareknuckles - Nailbomb (C) in the bridge and a Cold Sweat (A) in the neck. The Nailbomb is fantastic, and the Cold sweat is great too but it doesn't work well as a neck pickup imo. It's got so much treble to it that it actually sounds almost the same as the nailbomb even in the neck position! So I may look to swap that out one day.

But the more interesting part is the refinish. Cam had some flame and quilt maple veneers so we used a flame maple one and then I gave him the idea for the crazy split finish and he did an awesome job. The back/sides of the guitar are solid finishes but Cam added some streaks to it to make it look slightly flamed (looks a bit odd in the photos but awesome in person). Also the finish is quite sparkly which doesn't show up well here either. Pretty unique I think, and very cool (and managed to apply the finish to the headstock too).

Question, comments, etc?

wow cracking pair, Pete! Nice!

Wow!. Both stunning guitars
    www.inlovingmemory.es
    (melancholic doom/death)

Caparison: Dellinger SE-OM, Angelus HGS GM ProWhite, Angelus HGS TransBlack, Angelus TR Trans.RedBurst, TAT Red Sunset, TAT Frozen Sky
    Mayones: Regius 6 Gothic, Regius 7 Gothic, Duvell Elite 6, Setius 7 Gothic
    Skervesen: 4AP Custom, Raptor 6 NTB Custom, Raptor 7 FF Custom, Shoggie 7FF
    Ran: Crusher 7 FT Custom
    Strandberg: Boden USA 7
    Ibanez: J.Custom RG8527Z BX

Very nice

I totally love the finish on that Dellinger, I know natural finishes are all the rage right now but I miss the cool colors/paint jobs. If Caparison did a limited run similar to this, it would be hard for me to pass up. Great pair of axes man!

Very nice looking axes you got there mate.

From my experience with the dellinger, put an alnico nailbomb in the neck and you ll never look back.
    Or if you dont like that much bass in the neck possition, go for the VHII. Amazing pickup imho.

Thanks guys, really appreciate the kind words.

As I said, long-term I may look to swap out the neck pickup in the Dellinger (thanks for the suggestion motomoto) but short-term I'm considering selling it. We'll see how I go.