Thread: Good free exercises to improve picking

mr_bluedream Guest

Good free exercises to improve picking

I know something similar was asked before, but I'm looking for any tried and true exercises to help improve my picking in general. Any help would be appreciated.

27fretshred is offline Senior Member - Site Supporter Half way to being a Forum Pro
    I think there are lots of stuff if you look around. Googling up guitar picking exercises brings hundreds of decent exercises.

Buddroyce just posted an interesting exercise to help with your left hand without using a guitar. It's a very interesting exercise!

Technically, my little exercise doesn't help picking as it only works out the fretting hand
    ---=== Founder - CaparisonForum.Com ===---
    Got a Caparison question? Just ask

i agree with you,i like this forum

Quote Originally Posted by mr_bluedream View Post
    I know something similar was asked before, but I'm looking for any tried and true exercises to help improve my picking in general. Any help would be appreciated.
    Old thread but I just discovered some stuff that propelled my picking technique tremendously...

First I noticed my problems: I wasn't picking with my wrist, or holding the pick correctly.

The fix: slowed down to about 40-60 bpm and started utilizing my wrist for up/down motion... improved over a couple days.

Next, the pick: I was huge into anchoring, and it was very limiting, along with leaving my 3, 4, and 5 digit fingers out.

Fix: I curled my indexed finger, so the side is flush with the thumb, extended the thumb for a tight hold and I curled in the rest of my fingers in against the index finger. It was hard at first, but like mentioned before, I started exercises slllloooooowwwww (40-60 bpm til it was comfortable).

After looking at those and correcting, I still have an issue with 'rogue' pinkie, but that's ok. I will fix that over time with a few special exercises (let me know if you want them):

Well, as for material to practice, I avoided John Petrucci's Rock Discipline for years... why, I don't know, but there is so much wisdom in that video, especially the chromatic exercise, which I use as a warm up. I highly recommend this video for some basic principles and tips on practice and speed.

Have fun!